The parish is composed of three townships: Redmarshall, in which is the church, Carlton, adjacent to the north-east, and Stillington, quite detached, to the north-west. The areas of the three townships are 875, 1,499 and 1,153 acres in the order mentioned. The general surface is flat, but elevated about 150 ft. to 180 ft. above sea level. A brook runs north through the centre of Redmarshall and Carlton to join Whitton Beck near Thorpe Thewles. The soil is clay, suitable for wheat growing; oats, barley and potatoes also are raised. About 1845 the land was thus used: 2,530 acres of arable, 791 acres of pasture and 16 acres of woodland. The story of the parish has been as peaceful as befits a retired agricultural community. One of the stories of the early miracles of St. Godric relates the cure of the son of the smith of Stillington. The rising of 1569 drew five men to join it from Redmarshall and five from Stillington; one from each place was executed. The Protestation of 1641 was signed in the parish. Sir Anthony Carlisle was born at Stillington in 1768. He became surgeon to the Westminster Hospital, and was made a knight in 1820. He died in London in 1840.
‘Parishes: Redmarshall’, A History of the County of Durham: Volume 3 (1928)