The parish of Marton lies south of Middlesbrough, covering an area of 3,520 acres, of which the surface is clay on a subsoil of Keuper marls. The arable land, where wheat, barley, beans and oats are grown, amounts to 1,247 acres, the pasture to 1,355 acres, and the woodland to 154 acres. From the north of the parish, where the ground is 25 ft. above sea level, there is a regular and easy ascent to 300 ft. in the south.
The northern district of Marton is now included in the civil parish of Middlesbrough, and forms part of the suburbs of that town. The village is small, and consists chiefly of a few farm-houses and cottages ranged irregularly on the summit of a gentle elevation. The site of the birthplace of Captain Cook is marked in Stewart Park by a granite vase. At the west end of the village is the church with the school, erected in 1850 in honour of Captain Cook, and not far off is a Wesleyan chapel, built here in 1857.
‘Parishes: Marton with Moxby’, A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 2 (1923), pp. 264-268.