Sketch by S H Grimm made a few years before its demolition. Showing the church from the north; the roofs were low-pitched and nave had a massive western bellcote and the narrow north aisle with a shoulder-headed doorway between two tall single light windows with a smaller trefoil-headed light further east. The chancel was clearly of later 12th century date, and was of two bays with shallow pilaster buttresses, a moulded string below the round-arched windows, and an indented string at a higher level carried up over the windows as a hoodmould.
The sketch seems to show a straight joint at the south end of the east wall of the aisle, as if the aisle had been added to an earlier aisleless nave. The Hospital chapel can be seen a little to the west.
In 1273 Bishop Stitchell of Durham established a church and hospital at Greatham, near Hartlepool. About a decade after Grimm made these drawings both of these buildings were partially rebuilt. The church underwent further reconstruction during the 19th century. The original medieval aisles were fortunately kept intact.