The church of St. Oswald at Sowerby is almost entirely modern, most of it having been rebuilt between 1840 and 1883, while the north aisle and vestry were added in 1902. That there was a building here in the 12th century is shown by the south doorway, which is a good example of the work of that period. The semicircular arch is of three orders, the inner one being moulded with rounds and hollows, the middle one enriched with beak heads, and the outer order with the chevron. The only other old work is the lower part of the tower, which is probably of 15th-century date.
From ‘Parishes: Thirsk’, A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 2, ed. William Page (London, 1923)